What do I do if I have cancer and want to talk to my doctor between visits?

The most convenient time to communicate with your health care team is during scheduled appointments. This allows you to discuss your concerns in person. However, there may be times in between appointments when you need to talk. Ask your doctor what to do if this happens. 

If your concerns are not urgent, but you do not want to wait until the next scheduled appointment, ask to have a health care team member call you. In many cases, this may be a nurse who will decide whether you need to also speak with the doctor. You can also write up a list of questions to fax, email or mail to your health care team. They can then prepare a response when they have time and call or email you to discuss it further.

If you have a medical emergency, contact your hospital emergency room and your health care team right away. Do not try to wait until your next scheduled appointment.

Continue Learning about Cancer

What is adenosarcoma?
Adenosarcoma is a tumor that is a mixture of an adenoma (a tumor that starts in the gland-like cells...
DNA Economy: Using Genetic Information to Improve Health
How Does the Immune System Protect Us from Cancer?
What Are the Most Important Advances In Cancer Treatment?