What is a patient navigator?

Betty Long, RN, MHA
Nursing Specialist

Patient navigators were introduced in 1990 by Dr. Harold Freeman, a surgical oncologist in Harlem, New York who felt that uninsured and underserved cancer patients were not getting the guidance that other patients were. Since then, numerous healthcare facilities specializing in cancer treatment have introduced the role of nurse navigators or patient navigators to help their patients from diagnosis through to treatment and recovery. Because the healthcare system can be so difficult to 'navigate,' patients often need someone to help them figure out where to go.

Think of navigation as what is done and advocacy as what is said.

Continue Learning about Cancer

Why Developed Countries Are Developing More Cancer
The average North American eats over 130 pounds of sugar every year and consumes more than 60 pounds of sat-fat-laden beef, while the average ...
What is the Treatment for Graft-Versus-Host Disease?
If you or a loved one has had an allogenic stem cell transplant (allogenic SCT), follow-up care is extremely important. Also called a bone marrow tran...
Why should I avoid taking epigallocatechin gallate if I have cancer?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
If you are undergoing cancer treatment, please consult your doctor before using epigallocatechin gal...
What Is Thyroid Cancer?
What Is Thyroid Cancer?