What cancers are associated with tobacco use?

Tobacco use is associated with cancers of the lung, esophagus (swallowing tube), mouth, throat, bladder, pancreas, kidney, liver, stomach, bowel, cervix, ovary, nose and sinus, as well as some types of leukemia (blood cancer).
Like cigarettes, other tobacco products contain a variety of toxins associated with cancer. Cancer-causing chemicals have been identified in smokeless tobacco products (snuff), which are known to cause cancers of the mouth, lip and tongue. Users also may be at risk of developing cancer of the larynx, esophagus, colon and bladder. Cigars pose a serious health threat as well. Even if users try not to inhale cigar smoke, they are still at risk of developing oral and pharyngeal (throat) cancers and periodontal disease.

Continue Learning about Cancer

Get Moving Now for Cancer Protection Later
Gentlemen, it's time to get up and get moving. Now, we're not asking you to give up your golf game in favor of running marathons to improve your healt...
How can I best communicate with my healthcare team if I have cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Communicating with your health care team means having the ability to: Ask them any questions T...
8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo
8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo8 Ways to Enjoy Eating During Chemo
Cancer treatment can make mealtime tough, but these expert-approved tips can help.
What Is Thyroid Cancer?
What Is Thyroid Cancer?