How should I prepare for my doctor appointments if I have cancer?

If you have cancer, be organized and prepared for health care appointments:
  • Keep track of your medications. Bring a list of your medications (both prescribed and over-the-counter) to your appointments. The list should include dates taken, doses and any side effects or reactions noted. You may also want to bring all of your medication bottles. This helps your health care team to stay informed of all the medications you are taking. Also, report vitamins, herbs and food supplements because some may affect your cancer treatment.
  • Bring extra copies of important documents to give to the health care team for your file. You can also email, fax or mail these documents in before the visit. Allowing the health care team to read the documents may help you to communicate.
  • Store pamphlets, medication and side effect inserts, and important papers and phone numbers in one place such as a file, notebook or box.
Cancer is definitely a difficult topic to talk about, even with your doctor. Further, patients don't retain more than about 20% of what they're told during doctor visit. Therefore, if you're preparing to go to your doctor, consider bringing a friend or family member who is your support system. Write your questions down in advance before coming to the office so you don’t forget them. It may also help to write down the answers to your questions and instructions given by your doctor. You can always ask your doctor for a summary of the visit with important instructions written down for you. 

Continue Learning about Cancer

Why You Need to Quit Smoking After a Lung Cancer Diagnosis
Odds are, you’re aware that cigarette smoking is a big-time contributor to lung cancer. It’s the number one risk factor for developing the disease, an...
Is there such a thing as heart cancer?
You never hear of heart cancer. That's because it rarely starts there. But the fact is that at end-s...
9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
Learn which seemingly harmless symptoms may be a sign of cancer.
How Does the Immune System Protect Us from Cancer?