How can I best communicate with my healthcare team if I have cancer?

Communicating with your health care team means having the ability to:
  • Ask them any questions
  • Talk about how you feel
  • Tell them about changes in your body
  • Discuss your worries and concerns
Members of your health care team may be very busy. It might seem that they do not have time to talk, and your appointments may be brief. However, it is important that both you and the members of your health care team have the time that is needed to address the questions and concerns that the other has. You may need to schedule extra time in advance to allow enough time to address specific questions and concerns.

Preparing in advance for health care visits is a very important part of good communication. If you are able to provide specific information and ask clear questions, you will make the most of your time. This is the best way to ensure that your health care team understands your needs.

Each individual has a unique communication style. What works for one person might not work for another. Find a way in which you are comfortable communicating with your health care team. This can help you feel more confident about the quality of health care that you are receiving.

Continue Learning about Cancer

How to Cope With the Uncertainty of Cancer
From the moment your first symptoms appear, until long after you reach remission, uncertainty is an almost constant feature of the cancer experience. ...
What cancer cluster became the bestselling book and movie A Civil Action?
A well-known cancer cluster was discovered in Woburn, MA when a clergyman noticed that over a 15-yea...
9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore9 Cancer Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
Learn which seemingly harmless symptoms may be a sign of cancer.
What Are Some of the Challenges In Creating a Vaccine for Cancer?