Why should I talk openly with my doctor if I have cancer?

If you have cancer, you may not be familiar with certain medical terms or know anything about the types of medicines that your health care team prescribes. Asking questions may be one of the best ways to learn about taking care of your health during and after cancer. Open communication with your health care team can also help you to be aware of new developments in care and treatments.

Good communication with your health care team can help you:
  • Find out about current information related to your cancer and treatment
  • Participate in decisions about your medical care
  • Better manage your symptoms and get quality follow-up care
  • Make the most of the time you have with your health care team
  • Reduce stress by making sure your questions are answered
  • Feel confident that you are getting the best health care

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

4 Approaches for Treating Metastatic Breast Cancer
Also called MBC, metastatic breast cancer is cancer that initially began in the breasts, but has metastasized, meaning it has spread to other areas of...
How is endoscopy used in oncology?
Endoscopy is often used as a diagnostic procedure in oncology. Endoscopy allows the oncologist to se...
What happens during photodynamic therapy for cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
During photodynamic therapy, you will be given a drug, Photofrin, through an injection in your vein....
How Does Cancer Research Need to Change?