What is surgical oncology?

Surgical oncologist David Schreier, MD from West Hills Hospital & Medical Center describes this subspecialty of general surgery, which focuses on the surgical approach to treating cancer.
Daniel Labow, MD
Surgical Oncology

Surgery is an essential part of the treatment for patients with many types of cancer. The best results require coordinated efforts of an interdisciplinary team. Surgical oncologists are trained not only in the techniques of cancer surgery, but also in how surgery fits into the overall goal of cancer care. They develop treatment plans that may incorporate chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and/or alternative approaches before, during, and after surgery--with the ultimate goal being a treatment plan that maximizes length and quality of life.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Welcome to the Gene Editing Revolution
Welcome to the Gene Editing Revolution
It sounds like science fiction: Snip out a bad gene, insert a good one, and stop cancer in its tracks. But this fall, a British baby named Layla Richa...
How should I handle problems with my central venous catheter?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Following are solutions to potential problems with central venous catheters: Catheter Migration S...
Can I exercise during cancer treatment?
Your doctor will let you know when you should start exercising, whether it's before, during, or ...
What Are the Top Biomedical Research Priorities at the NIH?