What is radiofrequency ablation?

Radiofrequency ablation uses high temperatures, not cold, to destroy tumors. With the procedure, a probe that emits a high radio frequency is guided to the tumor site. The radio frequency creates an intense heat that destroys the tumor.
Radiofrequency ablation can treat headaches, neck pain, back pain, and foot pain. Radiofrequency ablation involves a radio wave that gets transmitted to the tip of a needle to create heat. This heat gently warms the affected nerve to reduce or eliminate pain.

During treatment, a probe is inserted under X-ray guidance and you’re placed under sedation for comfort. The procedure take about half an hour, can provide pain relief for up to a year, and is covered under most insurance. To try radiofrequency ablation, contact a board-certified fellowship-trained pain physician.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Why Remission Doesn’t Mean Treatment Is Over
Despite huge advances in treatment protocols in recent years, multiple myeloma remains, unfortunately, an incurable disease. What does that mean for p...
How should I change the injection cap for my central venous catheter?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Changing the injection cap for a central venous catheter (a soft, flexible tube that is placed i...
What kinds of foods should I eat when receiving treatment?
You should avoid hard or spicy foods as they may make your symptoms worse. If you are experiencing a...
Is Genetic Medicine the Future of Cancer Treatment?