What is medical oncology?

Medical oncology is the study and treatment of malignant diseases and cancers. It is a subspecialty of internal medicine. In most cases, medical oncologists see patients who have already been diagnosed with cancer by a previous physician or specialist.

Medical oncology uses medical interventions to treat the cancer through a systemic approach—meaning that medicine travels throughout the body, unlike radiation and surgery which are directed to a single site. The type of medicine is determined by the particular cancer diagnosis, but it often includes chemotherapy and/or hormone therapy. While some medications are taken at home, most chemotherapy treatments are given by an IV in the physician’s office.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Is Cancer Finally on the Ropes?
Is Cancer Finally on the Ropes?
When it comes to defeating cancer, the numbers are improving, but we have a way to go: In 1990, 33.3 people out of every 100,000 in the US populati...
How will an ostomy affect my sex life?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
There may be feelings of embarrassment because of an ostomy. Some survivors fear rejection from a pa...
How can I find a top cancer care facility?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Cancer treatment facilities are approved by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer (...
How We Can Beat Cancer?
How We Can Beat Cancer?