What is medical oncology?

Medical oncology is the study and treatment of malignant diseases and cancers. It is a subspecialty of internal medicine. In most cases, medical oncologists see patients who have already been diagnosed with cancer by a previous physician or specialist.

Medical oncology uses medical interventions to treat the cancer through a systemic approach—meaning that medicine travels throughout the body, unlike radiation and surgery which are directed to a single site. The type of medicine is determined by the particular cancer diagnosis, but it often includes chemotherapy and/or hormone therapy. While some medications are taken at home, most chemotherapy treatments are given by an IV in the physician’s office.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Surprising Treatment for C. diff and Chemo
Tomatoes were once considered poisonous -- even in Italy! -- and early pioneers were convinced that bathing was an open invitation to catching ...
Why is it important to stay hydrated during cancer treatment?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
During cancer treatment, it is very important that you stay hydrated. Water is needed for regulating...
How can I avoid unnecessary infection while I'm being treated for cancer?
The following are some simple tips to reduce exposure to and avoid unnecessary infection and/or illn...
Where Are We on the War on Cancer?
Where Are We on the War on Cancer?