What is cancer immunotherapy?

The ability of the immune system to identify and destroy tumor cells has led to immunotherapy use in cancer treatment. By stimulating the body's immune system, cancer cells may be destroyed without damaging healthy tissue. Cellular cancer vaccines use a patient's cells to trigger the immune system to attack cancerous cells. While traditional vaccines are used to prevent an illness from taking hold, cancer vaccines are used to prevent the existing cancer from spreading, thereby reducing the risk of recurrence.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Why Remission Doesn’t Mean Treatment Is Over
Despite huge advances in treatment protocols in recent years, multiple myeloma remains, unfortunately, an incurable disease. What does that mean for p...
Who is a candidate for hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC)?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion) can be appropriate for a wide variety of patient...
How often should my CA-125 be tested if I'm undergoing cancer treatment?
Gustavo Rodriguez, MDGustavo Rodriguez, MD
Typically during treatment, doctors draw a CA-125 at each visit, which is essentially the day so...
Where Has the Most Progress Been Made in Cancer Treatment?