What are side effects of biological therapy for cancer treatment?

Side effects of biological therapy (also known as biotherapy or immunotherapy) for cancer can vary among the different types of therapy used (cytokines, monoclonal antibodies, etc.) and from person to person. Some people may experience pain, itchiness and rashes and swelling around the injection site and/or flu-like symptoms. An allergic reaction is possible. Other problems may include fluid retention (edema), heart palpitations, diarrhea, and a heightened risk of infection. Bone pain, headache, fatigue, and appetite loss are also possible. You should alert your medical team to any side effects you have following treatment.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Know Before You Go: Chemotherapy
Know Before You Go: Chemotherapy
Treatment for cancer can be as daunting as the diagnosis itself because of the unpleasant side effects associated with chemotherapy. But knowing what ...
What can I find in my supermarket’s household aisle to help fight cancer?
Here are some household aisle picks that can prevent cancer:Sunscreen. Lather on the SPF each and ev...
What cancers can be treated with HIPEC?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
In general, HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion) is used for patients with appendix, ...
What Is the Survival Rate for Bladder Cancer?