What should I avoid if I have neutropenia due to cancer treatment?

If you are neutropenic, this means that your white blood cells (WBC) are very low and your body has trouble fighting infection. Therefore:
  • Avoid people with colds or infections.
  • Avoid large crowds (stores, malls, etc.). If you must be in a crowd, wear a mask.
  • No fresh flowers or new houseplants.
  • When dealing with plants, avoid handling soil or dirt. Watering is okay.
  • Avoid cat litter boxes and animal feces. Do not bring new pets into the home.
  • Women should not use tampons.
  • Restrict sexual activity to one partner. No oral or anal sexual activity.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Is Cancer Finally on the Ropes?
Is Cancer Finally on the Ropes?
When it comes to defeating cancer, the numbers are improving, but we have a way to go: In 1990, 33.3 people out of every 100,000 in the US populati...
How can ceramides help fight cancer?
An accidental discovery might lead to a cure for pancreatic cancer and glioblastoma (a very bad-...
How can I avoid exposure to light after photodynamic therapy for cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Exposure to bright direct light after photodynamic therapy can cause severe burns to the skin, simil...
What's the Role of My Primary Care Doctor After Cancer Treatment?