How do treatments used in oncology affect my fertility?

There is a large group of drugs used in the therapy process that can affect fertility. Watch Tamara Sutton, director of cancer services at Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center, discuss the importance of talking with your physician before treatment.

While many of the treatments used in oncology do not affect fertility, chemotherapy and radiation therapy can cause infertility in men and women. Infertility may be temporary or permanent. Those over the age of 40 are at a higher risk of experiencing infertility as a result of cancer treatment.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Aspirin and the Reduction of Cancer-Related Deaths
These days aspirin is made in a lab, but extracts from the bark of the willow tree were used to treat pain in Egypt as long ago as 3000 B.C. In 400 B....
How will an ostomy affect my sex life?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
There may be feelings of embarrassment because of an ostomy. Some survivors fear rejection from a pa...
How does proton therapy work?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Proton therapy, like all forms of radiation therapy used to treat cancer, works by aiming the energi...
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?