If I have cancer, how should I care for my implanted port incision?

There may be stitches or adhesive strips holding your incision together after implanted port (a small device that is inserted through the chest into a large blood vessel near the heart) surgery. These will usually stay in place for 7 to 10 days. Your doctor will remove the stitches at this time. The adhesive strips will probably fall off on their own. You will need to change the dressing, if there is one, every other day if you are using a gauze dressing or a gauze and transparent dressing. To help care for the incision:
  1. Wash your hands.
  2. Remove the old dressing.
  3. Examine the area for redness, swelling or drainage. If you think there might be a problem, call your doctor.
  4. Apply a new sterile dressing.
For the next 10 days after insertion, cover the dressing with a plastic wrap when bathing. If wet, change the dressing after bathing. After 10 days, when the incision is completely healed, you may shower/bathe without covering the site.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

4 Approaches for Treating Metastatic Breast Cancer
Also called MBC, metastatic breast cancer is cancer that initially began in the breasts, but has metastasized, meaning it has spread to other areas of...
Why are nurse navigators specific to particular tumors in cancer treatment?
Cathy Cole, NPCathy Cole, NP
A nurse navigator can be tumor-specified in cancer care. In this video, Cathy Cole, a nurse navigato...
Can a bone marrow transplant raise my risk of developing a second cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
With longer follow-up of increasing numbers of survivors after hematopoietic stem cell transplant (S...
Is It Possible to Prevent Cancer?
Is It Possible to Prevent Cancer?