How will my care team help me after a stem cell transplant for cancer?

During your stem cell transplant recovery, the role of your care team is to:
  • Review the general plan of care each day with you. Your care team will individualize your care as much as possible. Please tell your care team if you have special needs -- for instance, if a person is coming at a particular time for your stem cell reinfusion.
  • Teach and review with you how to perform your self-care activities -- mouth care, central venous catheter care, and skin care. Your care team will give you the supplies you need.
  • Do a full physical assessment every shift. This includes looking in your mouth, inspecting your skin, and listening to your lungs, heart, and stomach with a stethoscope. Your care team will watch you closely for signs of side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, infection, fluid balance changes, bleeding, etc.
  • Weigh you twice a day.
  • Measure and record all urine, stool, and vomit.
  • Give you medications and blood products as ordered by your doctors.
  • Disconnect your intravenous (IVs) or help you with them when you shower. IVs are not disconnected during your high-dose regimen, but they may be disconnected for short periods during your recovery. Your care team will teach you how to disconnect your IVs so you can be more independent.
  • Change your linens daily and see to it that your room is clean.
  • Bring you your meals and snacks.
  • Obtain needed specimens such as blood, urine, or stool.
  • Try to give you rest periods. It is important to space out your activities and take rest periods during the day.
  • Answer your call light as soon as possible.
  • Answer any questions you or your family may have or refer you to someone who can answer them.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Must-Know Facts About Immunotherapy
Must-Know Facts About Immunotherapy
The word 'breakthrough' gets thrown around in the media when it comes to medical advances. In the actual science and medical world, it’s significantly...
What kinds of foods should I eat when receiving treatment?
You should avoid hard or spicy foods as they may make your symptoms worse. If you are experiencing a...
Why should cancer survivors think about late side effects of treatment?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
After going through cancer and enduring the treatments, many survivors are reluctant to continue to ...
How Can We Improve Cancer Survival Rates?