How can I remain physically and mentally active during cancer treatment?

Nimesh P. Nagarsheth, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
In my practice, I encourage patients (and their families) to hold onto the structure and routine that they had in their life prior to their diagnosis as much as possible. This applies to both mental and physical (exercise) routines. Although lifestyle changes are inevitable when cancer is diagnosed, I encourage patients to pursue the basic life activities that make them happy and comfortable. Holding onto things in life that are familiar will provide a source of stability during this difficult time.

In terms of physical activity, one strategy I have found particularly successful with my patients who may be feeling weaker (due to the effects of cancer or their cancer treatment) is to substitute more strenuous activities with less strenuous activities. For example, if you were running three times per week prior to your diagnosis and/or treatment, consider walking three times a week for the same amount of time. As you build your strength, slowly incorporate running into your activity schedule.

In terms of mental activity, whenever possible push yourself to actively use your mind. For instance, instead of passively watching television, consider more interactive puzzles, word games (such as a daily crossword puzzle), or even video games. Exercising the mind and the body will help you to remain healthy.
Music And Cancer: A Prescription For Healing

From diagnosis to end-of-life care to the meaning behind life with cancer, Music and Cancer: A Prescription for Healing is designed to improve the quality of life of people affected by cancer in a...

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Aspirin and the Reduction of Cancer-Related Deaths
These days aspirin is made in a lab, but extracts from the bark of the willow tree were used to treat pain in Egypt as long ago as 3000 B.C. In 400 B....
What is targeted molecular therapy in context of cancer treatment?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Targeted therapy refers to an emerging class of drugs that destroy cancerous cells, leaving healthy ...
What is a Mahurkar catheter for cancer treatment?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
A Mahurkar catheter is a large, semi-flexible hollow tube (catheter) used for removing apheresis...
How Can We Win the War On Cancer?
How Can We Win the War On Cancer?