How can I be patient with my partner during cancer treatment?

Monogamy can be an exercise in infinite patience (why are your dirty socks lying next to the hamper!?) and, when you add in the stress of serious health issues like cancer, keeping your cool can seem even more daunting. Look inward before losing your temper. Ask yourself: Why am I really angry and/or frustrated? Is this something we should sit down and talk about? Is it something I can fix on my own? Is it worth worrying about at all?

And, as that last question implies, know how to choose your battles. If your partner's been driving you up a wall lately, give them the benefit of the doubt. You've both been through a lot lately, and your coping mechanisms may be clashing. Instead of thinking downbeat, unconstructive thoughts about your partner, write down a list of all the reasons you love them. Remember the things that made you fall in love, and then remember the reasons you still love them. Look over this list and realize that both you and your partner deserve a bit of leeway.
Sexy Ever After: Intimacy Post-Cancer

Sexy Ever After: Intimacy Post-Cancer

Recent studies show that 40-100 percent of men and women who have been treated for cancer have experienced some level of sexual dysfunction. Sexy Ever After: Intimacy Post-Cancer will help you...

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Know Before You Go: Chemotherapy
Know Before You Go: Chemotherapy
Treatment for cancer can be as daunting as the diagnosis itself because of the unpleasant side effects associated with chemotherapy. But knowing what ...
How can I prevent nausea and vomiting during cancer treatment?
Carolyn Lammersfeld, MSCarolyn Lammersfeld, MS
Many anti-nausea medications are now available that can prevent nausea & vomiting. These medications...
What do I do if I have a sore mouth or throat from cancer treatment?
Sores in the mouth, throat, or esophagus are caused by an inflammation known as mucositis. This ...
How Can Technology Improve How a Patient Tolerates Cancer Treatments?