How many lymph nodes are removed during an axillary dissection?

Scott Weissman
Clinical Genetics
The number of lymph nodes removed during an axillary dissection varies greatly. There is no set standard, and it depends on how much of the lymph system is being removed, which is sometimes referred to as a level I, level II or level III, with more being taken at each level. Quite often, physicians use a technique called sentinel node biopsy to sample a few lymph nodes closest to the cancer. If there is cancer in these nodes, they will often remove more, but if no cancer is found, no additional lymph nodes are removed. This technique can minimize the chance of developing lymphedema (swelling of the arm).

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

4 Approaches for Treating Metastatic Breast Cancer
Also called MBC, metastatic breast cancer is cancer that initially began in the breasts, but has metastasized, meaning it has spread to other areas of...
How do treatments used in oncology affect my fertility?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
There is a large group of drugs used in the therapy process that can affect fertility. Watch Tamara ...
How can I deal with fatigue caused by cancer treatment?
If you are undergoing cancer treatment or expect to be, it's important to plan for the eventuality t...
How Can We Improve Cancer Survival Rates?