How should I care for a capped IV for cancer treatment?

If you have a capped intravenous (IV), it is important to keep your dressing dry. When you shower or bathe, cover the dressing with plastic, taping the ends to create a seal. If your IV is in your hand, you can protect the dressing by putting on a rubber glove and taping it at your wrist to create a seal.

Should your dressing accidentally get wet, remove only the white gauze dressing. Leave the clear plastic covering the catheter in place. Cover this area with another gauze or a clean cloth to protect the catheter.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Must-Know Facts About Immunotherapy
Must-Know Facts About Immunotherapy
The word 'breakthrough' gets thrown around in the media when it comes to medical advances. In the actual science and medical world, it’s significantly...
How will an ostomy affect my sex life?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
There may be feelings of embarrassment because of an ostomy. Some survivors fear rejection from a pa...
Will my insurance cover treatment for cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
A cancer diagnosis can cause financial concerns. Even if you have insurance, there are things you ne...
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?