How can cancer treatment sometimes cause second cancers?

Some of the medications used to treat cancer are nonspecific in their activity. That is they have a "shotgun" effect on healthy and well as cancerous cells. While the majority of the bad cells tend to be more affected, a small percentage of normal cells also get damaged in the process leading to a very low risk of developing cancer. This is not only true for chemotherapy agents but for standard medications as well. If you look at the drug packet insert, you can see whether or not a medication is "mutagenic" or cancer causing. The benefits of most standard medications (including chemotherapy) many time outweigh the risks associated with it. Therefore, this is the impetus for taking chemotherapy as the risk of developing cancer due to treatment is extremely small itself.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Must-Know Facts About Immunotherapy
Must-Know Facts About Immunotherapy
The word 'breakthrough' gets thrown around in the media when it comes to medical advances. In the actual science and medical world, it’s significantly...
Can I drink alcohol while I'm being treated for cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all, if you're being treated for cancer. Alcohol may contribute t...
How many lymph nodes are removed during an axillary dissection?
Scott WeissmanScott Weissman
The number of lymph nodes removed during an axillary dissection varies greatly. There is no set ...
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?
How Can We Find the Cure for Cancer?