How are malignant tumors treated?

How a malignant tumor is treated depends on the type and extent of the malignancy. A tissue sample (biopsy) is usually needed to determine the exact kind of malignancy. Studies, like a positron emission tomography (PET) scan, may be done to see if the cancer has spread anywhere else. Treatment can involve surgery, radiation, chemotherapy or any combination of these. Surgery is a possibility if it will improve survival or quality of life in a way that outweighs the pain and risks of the surgery. Chemotherapy or radiation may be needed before and/or after the surgery. Long-term monitoring and follow-up is needed as well. Finally, if a malignancy is very advanced (has spread extensively throughout the body), the best treatment may be palliative care instead of unpleasant, aggressive treatments.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Surprising Treatment for C. diff and Chemo
Tomatoes were once considered poisonous -- even in Italy! -- and early pioneers were convinced that bathing was an open invitation to catching a deadl...
Can I take vitamins and supplements while I'm being treated for cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
Talk to your healthcare team before taking any vitamins or supplements. Some medications and cancer ...
How can exercise help treat cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Having cancer and receiving treatment for it changes peoples' bodies. Exercise is one of the best wa...
What Are the Latest Advances in Cancer Treatment?