How does ablation treat cancer?

James G. Carlisle, MD
Vascular & Interventional Radiology
In treating cancer with ablation, a treatment probe is guided directly into a tumor using imaging, like computerized tomography (CT) or ultrasound. It’s like a biopsy, but instead of taking out tissue, a special type of needle or antennae is used to either burn or freeze the tumor. The hope of ablation is to replace the need for surgical resection.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Best Foods for Multiple Myeloma Treatment
Eating well is important when you’re being treated multiple myeloma. In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, the SVP of Clinical Strategy at Sharecare, ...
How should I support my partner during cancer treatment?
Good In BedGood In Bed
Cancer or no cancer, we all want to be with someone who believes in and respects us. When we fee...
How can antibodies be used in targeted cancer therapy?
Antibodies can also be designed to become targeted therapies by recruiting them to do what they do b...
How Much Control Do You Have Over Your Risk of Cancer?