What should I do if I have stoma?

If you have a stoma, you will need to learn how to care for it:

Before leaving the hospital, you will learn to remove and clean the trach tube, suction the trach, and care for the skin around the stoma. If the air is too dry, as it may be in heated buildings in the winter, the tissues of the windpipe and lungs may produce extra mucus. Also, the skin around the stoma may get sore. Keeping the skin around the stoma clean and using a humidifier at home or at the office can lessen these problems. It is very dangerous for water to get into the windpipe and lungs through the stoma. Wearing a special plastic stoma shield or holding a washcloth over the stoma keeps water out when showering or shaving. Other types of stoma covers—such as scarves, neckties, and specially made covers—help keep moisture in and around the stoma. They help filter smoke and dust from the air before it enters the stoma. When shaving, men should keep in mind that the neck may be numb for several months after surgery. To avoid nicks and cuts, it may be best to use an electric shaver until the numbness goes away.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Aspirin and the Reduction of Cancer-Related Deaths
These days aspirin is made in a lab, but extracts from the bark of the willow tree were used to treat pain in Egypt as long ago as 3000 B.C. In 400 B....
What's the role of my primary care doctor after cancer treatment?
Mark A. O'Rourke, MDMark A. O'Rourke, MD
The role of the primary care physician after cancer treatment becomes one of a collaborative interfa...
How many lymph nodes are removed during an axillary dissection?
Scott WeissmanScott Weissman
The number of lymph nodes removed during an axillary dissection varies greatly. There is no set ...
Understanding Cancer Today
Understanding Cancer Today