Can a bone marrow transplant raise my risk of developing a second cancer?

With longer follow-up of increasing numbers of survivors after hematopoietic stem cell transplant (SCT) (bone marrow transplant), an increased risk of second cancer is being seen. This may be related to treatments of chemotherapy and radiation, to effects on the immune system, and to genetic predisposition.

Continue Learning about Cancer Treatment

Is Cancer Finally on the Ropes?
Is Cancer Finally on the Ropes?
When it comes to defeating cancer, the numbers are improving, but we have a way to go: In 1990, 33.3 people out of every 100,000 in the US populati...
What are side effects of biological therapy for cancer treatment?
Side effects of biological therapy (also known as biotherapy or immunotherapy) for cancer can vary a...
What medications help prevent nausea and vomiting during cancer treatment?
Nausea and/or vomiting are common side effects of many cancer treatments. This may occur before,...
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?