What should I look for in a cancer support group?

A good cancer support group will generally touch on many things ranging from difficult challenges to inspirational stories. Members may laugh together and share all types of experiences and feelings. Many cancer survivors report that they feel much better after meeting with others who share their experiences. Problems can feel more manageable when you talk about them with other survivors who understand.

Each support group is unique. If the first group you try is not a good fit for your needs, try another one. Before you attend the first meeting, you may want to talk with a member of your healthcare team or the support group leader to find out if the specific group is likely to be appropriate for your needs. If it is not, they may be able to suggest another group that will be.

A support group should allow you to:
  • Share experiences with other survivors
  • Learn new ways to handle difficult situations
  • Talk about your reactions and feelings to changes in your life.

Continue Learning about Cancer Survivorship

Cancer Plan for a Nation of Cancer Survivors
If you’re among the 15.5 million Americans who’ve survived cancer, at some point you’ve wondered, “What’s next for me?” Living beyond this disease is ...
As a cancer survivor, how can I deal with my fear of a recurrence?
Stewart B. Fleishman, MDStewart B. Fleishman, MD
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, pall...
What is radical remission from cancer?
Kelly Turner, PhDKelly Turner, PhD
A radical remission is when someone survives cancer against all odds; when cancer goes away without ...
How Are Cancer Survivors Helping Us All Beat Cancer?