How can I find a therapist who deals with cancer survivors?

CancerCare provides high quality counseling and education in person at their NY offices, on the Web and on the phone at no charge. Their mission is to focus on cancer-related issues. Find out more information at www.CancerCare.org or by telephone, at 1-800-813-HOPE.

The American Psychosocial Oncology Society helps find therapists in a variety of disciplines in your area. Check out their website: apos-society.org.

To find a therapist who treats cancer survivors, start with the center where you received treatment for your cancer. To learn other ways to find therapists who specialize in treating cancer patients, watch this video featuring palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman.

For help dealing with sadness or depression after cancer, ask for a referral to a licensed counselor or therapist. Ask your doctor or nurse for a referral to a therapist who works with other cancer survivors. Most cancer centers employ oncology social workers who are specially trained to work with cancer survivors and their families. Even if you are not a patient at a cancer center, the oncology social worker may meet with you or refer you to someone else in the community.
Interview the therapist to find out if he or she is the right professional for you. Speak honestly with the therapist and let him or her know your reasons for wanting to work with a therapist.

Continue Learning about Cancer Survivorship

Cancer Plan for a Nation of Cancer Survivors
If you’re among the 15.5 million Americans who’ve survived cancer, at some point you’ve wondered, “What’s next for me?” Living beyond this disease is ...
What is radical remission from cancer?
Kelly Turner, PhDKelly Turner, PhD
A radical remission is when someone survives cancer against all odds; when cancer goes away without ...
How often should an ovarian cancer survivor get CT scans?
Jean A. Hurteau, MDJean A. Hurteau, MD
That’s a personal decision you have to make with your physician. Some physicians will not perfor...
How Can I Transition from Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor?