What's a healthy diet for a cancer survivor?

Pallav Mehta, MD
Healthy diet suggestions for cancer survivors include eating within an hour of waking, eating every 3-4 hours, eating most calories early in the day, and avoiding refined sugars. In this video, I will explain these guidelines.
Eating right for your health needs may improve how you feel. Discuss any changes in your diet with a member of your healthcare team before you start. Here are some nutritional recommendations you may want to discuss:
  • Eating 5-7 servings daily of fruits and vegetables
  • Eating plenty of fiber
  • Eating the right unsaturated fats -- up to 20% of total daily calories
  • Avoiding saturated and trans fats
  • Drinking 8-10 glasses of water per day
  • Avoiding salted, pickled or smoked foods
  • Not eating a lot of red meats
  • Drinking little or no alcohol

Continue Learning about Cancer Survivorship

Cancer Plan for a Nation of Cancer Survivors
If you’re among the 15.5 million Americans who’ve survived cancer, at some point you’ve wondered, “What’s next for me?” Living beyond this disease is ...
What should I look for in a cancer support group?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
A good cancer support group will generally touch on many things ranging from difficult challenge...
As a cancer survivor, how can I deal with my sadness?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
If you have survived cancer but still feel sad or even mildly depressed, talking with another person...
Why Is the Amount of Cancer Survivors Increasing?