What are the emotional after effects of cancer?

Some survivors continue to have strong emotions about the cancer experience long after treatment is done. Others may experience new emotions. Some feelings about the cancer experience can even surface months or years later.

Common emotions and concerns following cancer treatment may include:
  • Anger
  • Fear
  • Sadness or depression
  • Anxiety
  • Uncertainty about the future
  • Concerns about pain or fatigue
  • Concerns about body image
  • Concerns about relationships
Once you are physically able to return to your normal daily activities or work, you may find that you are no longer very interested in things that were once important to you. It may be difficult to concentrate. Some survivors worry a lot or have a general feeling of uneasiness or unhappiness. These types of emotions can affect communication with loved ones, friends and employers. In some cases, relationships may suffer.

You may experience all, some, or no emotional after effects. If you have concerns, ask loved ones, friends or your healthcare team for help. Your concerns and feelings are important.

In some cases, it may be challenging to describe the feelings you are having after cancer treatment is done. You may think that you are only supposed to be grateful and happy. It may be tempting to try to ignore unpleasant emotions. However, if there are strong emotions, you may benefit from counseling or the support of others.

Continue Learning about Cancer Survivorship

Cancer Plan for a Nation of Cancer Survivors
If you’re among the 15.5 million Americans who’ve survived cancer, at some point you’ve wondered, “What’s next for me?” Living beyond this disease is ...
As a cancer survivor, what increases my risk of neuropathy?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Certain types of cancer increase your risk of neuropathy. These include: lung, breast, ovarian, myel...
When should cancer survivors consider getting life insurance?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Not everyone needs life insurance or can afford to purchase a policy -- especially if the cost is hi...
Why Is It important to Share My Cancer Survivorship Story?