What emotions are common after cancer treatment has ended?

When cancer treatment ends, you might feel excited about your future. You are likely to feel relieved that treatment is over and ready to move on with your life. On the other hand, you could feel worried about the future, angry that you had cancer, or embarrassed that you had to rely on others for help and support. Many people have mixed feelings.

When cancer treatment ends, you may have none, some, or all of the feelings and reactions listed below. You also may have thoughts, feelings, and reactions that are not mentioned. Here are some emotions to watch for:
  • Fear of recurrence
  • Anxiety or feeling worried
  • Worries about self-image or body image
  • Sadness
  • Depression
  • Grief and loss 
  • Guilt
  • Uncertainty
  • Anger
  • Emotional numbness 
  • Spiritual distress

You'll likely feel joy and relief once you finish treatment for cancer, but expect to experience some emotions at the other end of the spectrum, such as fear and loneliness too, says palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman. In this video, he explains why.

Continue Learning about Cancer Survivorship

Cancer Plan for a Nation of Cancer Survivors
If you’re among the 15.5 million Americans who’ve survived cancer, at some point you’ve wondered, “What’s next for me?” Living beyond this disease is ...
How can I find a therapist who deals with cancer survivors?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
For help dealing with sadness or depression after cancer, ask for a referral to a licensed counselor...
As a cancer survivor, what increases my risk of neuropathy?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Certain types of cancer increase your risk of neuropathy. These include: lung, breast, ovarian, myel...
How Can I Find a Therapist Who Deals with Cancer Survivors?