As a cancer survivor, why do I feel sad or depressed?

Cancer survivors are often surprised to find feelings of sadness or depression after treatment ends. There may be a feeling of let down instead of the joy that is expected.

The focus on fighting cancer may have lasted so long that there is sometimes a sense of emptiness when treatment is over. This can include feelings of loss because the healthcare team is no longer seen on a regular basis. In some cases, there may not have been time to think about your emotions during treatment. You may not have been aware of even feeling sadness until after the treatment ended because you were focused on getting through the challenges of the treatment phase.

Sadness or a mild depressed mood typically lessens and goes away as one is able to return to usual routines and as physical strength returns. At this time, there may also be more interest in exploring old or new interests and activities. However, if sadness or depression continues to cause problems, talk with your healthcare team about getting help. This can help speed up the healing process and a return to quality of life.

Continue Learning about Cancer Survivorship

Cancer Plan for a Nation of Cancer Survivors
If you’re among the 15.5 million Americans who’ve survived cancer, at some point you’ve wondered, “What’s next for me?” Living beyond this disease is ...
What is a cancer survivor?
A cancer survivor is a person who has previously been diagnosed with cancer and is now considered to...
What is an ostomy for a cancer survivor?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
The word ostomy means opening. An ostomy is a surgical opening from an organ inside the body to ...
What Can I Do to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle As a Cancer Survivor?