What are the goals of oncology?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Oncology generally has three goals. The first goal of oncology is to eliminate your cancer, either by killing or removing the cancerous cells. The second goal of oncology is to keep the cancer from returning, or at least to delay its return. The third goal of oncology is to help you manage your cancer symptoms, even if the cancer cannot be killed or removed.

The main goal of oncology is to cure cancer, if we can. If we cannot cure the cancer, the goal of oncology is to have the patient live the best life he or she can, for as long as possible, with the treatments that we have available—and there are lots of treatments available.

Continue Learning about Cancer Prevention

How to Lower Your Cancer Risk Today
How to Lower Your Cancer Risk Today
Cancer rates around the world will skyrocket 57 percent in the next 20 years, according to a sobering new report from the World Health Organization. ...
Can I prevent germ cell cancer if I have a family history of the disease?
Scott WeissmanScott Weissman
When a very specific type of cancer like that runs in a family, there can be a genetic cause to ...
Can statins prevent cancer?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Animal research and ongoing observation of people who take statins suggest that these drugs may lowe...
What Are Some Good Cancer-Fighting Foods?