How can I limit formaldehyde exposure in my home?

Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
There are a few ways to limit formaldehyde exposure in your home, including avoiding certain types of furniture materials and clothing treatments. Watch as pediatrician Alan Greene, MD, explains how to avoid contact with this dangerous carcinogen.

The EPA recommends the use of "exterior-grade" pressed-wood products to limit formaldehyde exposure in the home. Before purchasing pressed-wood products, including building materials, cabinetry, and furniture, buyers should ask about the formaldehyde content of these products. Formaldehyde levels in homes can also be reduced by ensuring adequate ventilation, moderate temperatures, and reduced humidity levels through the use of air conditioners and dehumidifiers.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Cancer Prevention

Get F.I.T. to Reduce Colon Cancer Risks
Get F.I.T. to Reduce Colon Cancer Risks
Camera shots of your inner passageways are not the only way to protect you from colon cancer, there’s another early test you can take that could reduc...
Are there ways to prevent cancer with diet?
According The American Cancer Society, “Eating lots of fruits and vegetables can help reduce you...
Can I prevent cancer by having my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed?
Scott WeissmanScott Weissman
The answer to this question primarily is yes.  However, when both ovaries and tubes are removed, the...
Does Drinking Tea Help Prevent Disease?
Does Drinking Tea Help Prevent Disease?