How can I use grapes to help reduce my risk of cancer?

Grown in the northern United States, dark grapes are known for their tart, musky flavor. Seeded wine grapes like the Concord variety have thick skin and a high concentration of polyphenols, including resveratrol, which has been shown to inhibit lymph, liver, stomach, and breast cancers. This powerful antioxidant is found mostly in the skin and seeds, so make sure to eat the entire grape.

Have up to 2 cups a week for maximum benefit. If you can’t find Concord grapes, make sure to choose red or purple types -- they contain significantly more resveratrol than their green counterparts.

For a fun way to eat these superfruits, freeze and add them to your drinks in lieu of ice cubes. For an added antioxidant bonus, pop them in a glass of grape juice, which is also a good source of resveratrol. Try for two 5-ounce glasses of grape juice a week.

For even more cancer-fighting benefits, indulge in a glass of red wine. This type of vino, especially pinot noir, has been proven to reduce the risk of renal, lung, and ovarian cancers when consumed in moderation a few times a week. Be sure to speak with your doctor before adding any alcohol to your diet.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Cancer Prevention

Get F.I.T. to Reduce Colon Cancer Risks
Get F.I.T. to Reduce Colon Cancer Risks
Camera shots of your inner passageways are not the only way to protect you from colon cancer, there’s another early test you can take that could reduc...
What dairy foods can help prevent cancer?
Eating certain dairy foods regularly can lower the risk of developing some cancers by as much as...
Can fasting prevent or treat cancer?
Fasting can neither prevent nor treat cancer. Popular opinion once was that fasting could detoxify y...
How Does My Diet Affect My Risk of Developing Cancer?