Can I prevent germ cell cancer if I have a family history of the disease?

Scott Weissman
Clinical Genetics
When a very specific type of cancer like that runs in a family, there can be a genetic cause to the cancer. If you are able to determine the genetic cause, then you can be tested to see if you have inherited the predisposition so that an intervention (like preventative removal of the ovaries) can be done so you do not develop the cancer. Sometimes, even when a genetic cause cannot be identified, prevention can still be considered to help minimize cancer risk and reduce anxiety about developing it.

Continue Learning about Cancer Prevention

How to Lower Your Cancer Risk Today
How to Lower Your Cancer Risk Today
Cancer rates around the world will skyrocket 57 percent in the next 20 years, according to a sobering new report from the World Health Organization. ...
How does opening windows everyday help prevent cancer?
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), air in most homes is up to five times more c...
How does vitamin D decrease the risk of cancer?
A daily supplement of vitamin D (1,200 IUs) can prevent tumor metastasis, reduce cancer cells, and h...
Exercise Turns on Good Genes
Exercise Turns on Good Genes