Can I prevent cancer by having my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed?

Scott Weissman
Clinical Genetics
The answer to this question primarily is yes.  However, when both ovaries and tubes are removed, there is a very small chance of developing a cancer in the lining of the tissue surrounding the ovaries and tubes called the peritoneum, and the cancer is called primary peritoneal cancer (PPC). However, there is some controversy as to whether PPC develops on its own or whether there is a very early-stage cancer at the time the ovaries and tubes are removed that is missed, and hence, it looks like a PPC.

Continue Learning about Cancer Prevention

How to Lower Your Cancer Risk Today
How to Lower Your Cancer Risk Today
Cancer rates around the world will skyrocket 57 percent in the next 20 years, according to a sobering new report from the World Health Organization. ...
What are ways to help prevent a cancer recurrence?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Research shows that a healthy diet plus exercise can help prevent cancer from coming back, says ...
What should DES-exposed mothers do?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
DES-exposed mothers should inform their doctor of their exposure. It is important that the physician...
Can Exercise in Mid-Life Help Prevent Cancer Later on?