Can I prevent cancer by having my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed?

Scott Weissman
Clinical Genetics
The answer to this question primarily is yes.  However, when both ovaries and tubes are removed, there is a very small chance of developing a cancer in the lining of the tissue surrounding the ovaries and tubes called the peritoneum, and the cancer is called primary peritoneal cancer (PPC). However, there is some controversy as to whether PPC develops on its own or whether there is a very early-stage cancer at the time the ovaries and tubes are removed that is missed, and hence, it looks like a PPC.

Continue Learning about Cancer Prevention

You’re a Cancer Survivor: Now What?
You’re a Cancer Survivor: Now What?
The National Cancer Institute says that in 2016, 15.5 million adult Americans were alive after a diagnosis of cancer. That number will hit 20.3 millio...
How can I limit formaldehyde exposure in my home?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
There are a few ways to limit formaldehyde exposure in your home, including avoiding certain types o...
How does papaya help fight cancer?
Papayas contain the phytochemical lycopene, the same cancer fighter found in tomatoes. But papaya ha...
Has Progress Been Made in the War on Cancer?