Can exercise help prevent cancer?

Simple lifestyle changes, including increased exercise, could potentially prevent a third of all common cancers, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research and the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF).

"It is distressing that even in 2011, people are dying unnecessarily from cancers that could be prevented through maintaining a healthy weight, diet, physical activity, and other lifestyle factors," Martin Wiseman, a WCRF medical and scientific adviser, told Reuters news.

In a separate statement, the World Health Organization (WHO) said that lack of exercise is the main cause of 21%-25% of breast and colon cancers, 27% of diabetes, and 30% of heart disease all over the world.

WHO recommends a minimum of 150 minutes of exercise per week. That's five 30-minute workouts -- not much when you think about it.

Continue Learning about Cancer Prevention

Get F.I.T. to Reduce Colon Cancer Risks
Get F.I.T. to Reduce Colon Cancer Risks
Camera shots of your inner passageways are not the only way to protect you from colon cancer, there’s another early test you can take that could reduc...
How do beets help fight cancer?
The rich red color of beets actually comes from the cancer-fighting antioxidant betalains. Betalains...
What are some good cancer-fighting foods?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Certain compounds found in cruciferous vegetables may block the effects of cancer-causing substanc...
How Does Papaya Help Fight Cancer?
How Does Papaya Help Fight Cancer?