What is testicular cancer?

Testicular cancer is a type of cancer occurring in the testicles. The testicles, which are responsible for creating sperm and male sex hormones, are located in the scrotum underneath the base of the penis. Several types of cancer may grow in the testicles, including choriocarcinoma, embryonal carcinoma, teratoma, and seminoma. Testicular cancer typically only affects one of your two testicles.

Cancer is cells in your body that grow abnormally and out of control. Eventually they form a mass and metastasize (spread) to other parts of the body. Almost all cancers will kill you if left untreated. Testicular cancer starts in the testicles and most commonly affects men in their 20s to 40s, but not always.

Continue Learning about Testicular Cancer

Is testicular cancer serious?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Yes. Testicular cancer, like all cancer is serious. Still, testicular cancer is one of the most cura...
What is the rate of incidence for testicular cancer?
Although only 1 out of 300 men will ever contract testicular cancer in his lifetime. Among men 20 to...
Can I still have children if I have a testicle removed?
Mark S. Litwin, MDMark S. Litwin, MD
Most men who have a testicle removed are still able to have children.  You have two testicles. The r...
Is testicular cancer a common form of cancer?
Among men 20 to 35 years of age, testicular cancer is the most common form of cancer. Considering a ...