Q

Testicular Cancer

What are the stages of testicular cancer?

• Tumors (T) are definitively staged based on findings at surgery to remove the testicle and or lymph nodes in the abdomen. Tools used to determine the stage of the testicular cancer include a microscopic examination of the removed testicle and lymph nodes, CT scan, and other studies as indicated. The various stages of testicular cancer are:

• T0 – No evidence of primary testicular tumors
    • T1 – Tumor confined to the testicle
    • T2 – Tumor invading outside the capsule of the testicle
    • T3 – Tumor invading the tubes which transport sperm
    • T4 – Tumor invading blood vessels which supply the testicles
    • T4B – Invades the scrotum
    • N0 – No tumor in any lymph nodes
    • N1 – Less than 6 nodes positive for cancer, no nodes greater than 2 cm
    • N2 – Greater than 6 positive nodes, any node greater than 2 cm
    • N3 – Masses, disease and lymph nodes in the back
    • N+ – Tumor has spread to multiple sites outside the lymph nodes
  • A Urology, answered on behalf of
    Tumors in testicular cancer are classified as stage I, II or III. This is similar for a lot of different types of cancers, but it's particularly important in men with testicular cancer. Stage I means the tumor is confined to the testicle. Stage II means it has spread, but only to the lymph nodes of the region (usually lymph nodes of the abdomen). Stage III indicates the cancer has spread distantly throughout the body such as to the liver, the lungs, the brain and other organs. This, of course, is the most serious stage.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How is testicular cancer diagnosed?