Why is endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) used for people with cancer?

Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) helps your doctor determine the extent of spread of certain cancers of the digestive and respiratory systems. EUS allows your doctor to accurately assess the cancer's depth and whether it has spread to adjacent lymph glands or nearby vital structures, such as major blood vessels. In some patients, EUS can be used to obtain a needle biopsy of a lump or lesion to help your doctor determine the proper treatment. 

Continue Learning about Cancer Diagnosis

How to Perform a Skin Cancer Self-Check
How to Perform a Skin Cancer Self-Check
Learn how to perform a skin cancer self-check with this video from Sharecare. Medically reviewed in January 2019.
What is the AJCC staging system?
Juliet WilkinsonJuliet Wilkinson
The American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) staging system is one of the most widely accepted tool...
What is a total or whole body computed tomography?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
A total or whole body computed tomography (CT) scan creates images of nearly the entire body - from ...
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?