How is computed tomography used in cancer?

Computed tomography is used in several ways:
To detect or confirm the presence of a tumorTo provide information about the size and location of the tumor and whether it has spreadTo guide a biopsy (the removal of cells or tissues for examination under a microscope)To help plan radiation therapy or surgeryTo determine whether the cancer is responding to treatment
This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Cancer Diagnosis

5 Ways to Stay Emotionally Fit After a Cancer Diagnosis
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer many of the conversations and decisions that follow will focus on your physical health. But you also need to ca...
How are malignant tumors treated?
How a malignant tumor is treated depends on the type and extent of the malignancy. A tissue sample (...
Should I undergo cancer screening test if I have no family history?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Your family history, lifestyle, and genetics all affect your cancer risk and likely benefit of s...
Understanding Cancer Today
Understanding Cancer Today