Who is at risk for developing a second cancer?

There is not yet a lot of specific information about how likely it is that survivors of specific cancer types will have second cancers. Current research shows that cancer survivors in general have an increased chance of developing cancer compared to people of the same age and gender who have not had cancer. This means that it is even more important for cancer survivors to be aware of the risk factors for second cancers and maintain good follow-up health care.

Whether or not you will have a second cancer depends on many different things. This may include your age when treated, the treatment you received, and your genetic make-up and family history. Even if you find you are at a higher risk, it does not mean that you will develop cancer again. Keep in mind that, although the risk is higher, the actual number of people who will get a second cancer is relatively small. Each cancer survivor's experience is unique.

Continue Learning about Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

New Cancer Risks Piling On
New Cancer Risks Piling On
In the NFL, a scramble for a fumble usually results in a pile of players, all vying for the football. But when a player gets to the party late and “pi...
What causes the cell mutations that can lead to cancer?
The cellular mutations that lead to cancer originate in two ways. First, mutations come from mistake...
How can processed meat increase my cancer risk?
Diets high in processed meats contain preservatives like nitrates, which act like carcinogens in you...
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?
Can My Mind Help Me Fight Cancer?