How do genetics affect my risk of developing cancer?

Research has shown that certain types of cancer may be more common to some families than other types. These cancer types include melanoma, breast, ovarian, prostate and colon. If a certain pattern of cancer appears to exist in your family, genetic testing might be suggested by your doctor. These tests check for gene changes, but finding a change does not mean that have, or will develop, cancer. However, it may mean that there is a higher than average possibility of developing these or other types of cancer.

Continue Learning about Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Why Eating Too Late in the Day Could Up Your Cancer Risk
In a scene from the hit TV show Mad Men, Don Draper and coworker Harry Crane go to White Castle for a late-night snack after a Rolling Stones concert....
Does acrylamide increase the risk of cancer?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
High levels of acrylamide increases the risk of cancer in animals, so researchers believe there may ...
How does age affect my risk of cancer?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
The risk of cancer increases with age. Abnormal cells are created in the body, but the immune system...
How Much Control Do You Have Over Your Risk of Cancer?