How might fire retardants affect human health?

TDCIPP, a fire retardant, causes cancer in laboratory animals and is listed as a carcinogen under Proposition 65 in the state of California. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission considers it a probable human carcinogen.

In addition, TDCIPP and the chemicals found in the fire retardant Firemaster 550 are suspected of disrupting the endocrine system, which is the body’s master regulator of hormone signaling. Endocrine function is critical to normal growth, metabolism and sexual development. Substances that interfere with hormone signaling have been linked to a wide variety of disorders and conditions, including obesity and developmental problems. 

Continue Learning about Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

How to Break the Link Between Obesity and Cancer
Unfortunately, for half of you, no amount of evidence has convinced you that there’s a connection between excess weight and cancer, according to the A...
Are acrylamide levels regulated?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates acrylamide in drinking water. The EPA estab...
How does Lynch syndrome affect my cancer risk?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
Women with hereditary non-polyposis colorectal carcinoma (HNPC), also known as Lynch Syndrome, h...
How Does My Diet Affect My Risk of Developing Cancer?