Can people get cancer from being exposed to benzene?

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), after examining many scientific studies, concluded that benzene does cause cancer in humans. Occupational studies of workers exposed to high levels of benzene have shown that benzene causes leukemia, a cancer of the bone marrow (where blood cells are made).

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Sweets and Cancer
Sweets and Cancer
In 1949 when Candy Land supplanted Uncle Wiggly as the Milton Bradley’s top selling board game, the old U.S. of A. was on track to becoming the larges...
How can I reduce my risk of cancer?
Dr. Omar M. Rashid, MDDr. Omar M. Rashid, MD
You can reduce your risk of cancer by following these recommendations for cancer prevention, based o...
Can eating processed meats lead to cancer?
A diet high in processed meats is a risk factor for developing ovarian and other cancers. Learn ...
Where Has the Most Progress Been Made in Cancer Treatment?