Can hormone replacement therapy (HRT) increase my risk of cancer?

The risks of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) are increased incidence of breast cancer and uterine cancer while using estrogen. However, when estrogen and progesterone are administered together and in the correct doses, the risk of cancer of the uterus or endometrium is reduced.

Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) means replacing estrogen and sometimes progesterone once a woman has gone through menopause. And we recognize now that if you take combined hormone replacement therapy, estrogen and progesterone, that does increase your breast cancer risk. So we're advising women to stay away from that. If you're only on estrogen for your hormone replacement therapy, or if you've had your uterus removed and you're taking hormone replacement therapy, then that treatment is not associated with an elevated breast cancer risk, but that's not the only piece of the puzzle.

The information, opinions, and recommendations presented in this article have been compiled from a podcast and are for general information only.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911.This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Obesity and Cancer: What's the Link?
Obesity and Cancer: What's the Link?
It’s widely known that rates of overweight and obesity are on the rise in the United States, affecting 71.6 percent of adults as of 2015 to 2016. Mean...
Can having breast or ovarian cancer increase my risk of other cancers?
Scott WeissmanScott Weissman
It depends; having breast or ovarian cancer with no family history of cancer generally will not ...
Can lack of sleep cause cancer?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
There’s no question that getting restful sleep is beneficial for both healthy people and those battl...
What Can I Do to Reduce My Exposure to Acrylamide?