How do low-viscosity, high-calorie foods affect my body?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
In addition to being low in volume for the amount of calories they contain, typical foods in the western diet are also very low in thickness or viscosity. They become thin watery liquids once they are chewed, swallowed, and mixed with fluids and acid in the stomach. Low viscosity foods move through the digestive tract very quickly and are rapidly absorbed, which means that your digestive system will be looking for more food shortly after you have eaten your meal. As well, many of the foods typical of the modern Western diet contain highly refined carbohydrates, which tend to result in a rapid and excessive elevation of after-meal blood sugars (high glycemic impact). Foods that cause blood sugar to surge rapidly after meals may contribute to initial satiety, but they backfire and end up actually promoting excessive food intake in the hours that follow.
Hunger Free Forever: The New Science of Appetite Control

From two leading authorities on appetite control, obesity, natural medicine, and food comes a breakthrough in getting healthy and staying slim without starving.Millions have spent years searching for...

Continue Learning about Calories

This Nut Has Fewer Calories Than You Think
Even though nuts are brimming with excellent nutrition, sometimes you shy away because of the calories. But here's a nut that may have fewer calories ...
At what point after swallowing does food become a calorie?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
Before you swallowed the food, it contained a number of calories or what we call potential energy me...
How many calories can I burn laughing?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
A research published in the International Journal of Obesity found just 15 minutes of laughter a day...
Do Toning Shoes Really Make You Burn More Calories?