How can I reduce the calories I get from red meat?

Keri Gans
Here are some tips to get less calories from red meat:
  • Enjoy red meat twice a week. If you choose extra lean cuts, and stick to the appropriate serving size, you can eat it three times a week.
  • A serving of beef is about 3 ounces—the size of a deck of cards.
  • More often than not, choose loin or round cuts.
  • Try bison—it is much lower in fat than many cuts of beef.
  • Broil or grill rather than panfry.
  • Drain the excess fat from ground beef before you add it to a sauce.
  • Leftovers count toward your two servings per week.
  • If you order a red-meat entrée served with a sauce, request the sauce on the side.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...

Continue Learning about Calories

This Nut Has Fewer Calories Than You Think
Even though nuts are brimming with excellent nutrition, sometimes you shy away because of the calories. But here's a nut that may have fewer calories ...
How many calories do strawberries contain?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Although they appear big and plump, strawberries contain 85% water. So one cup (about eight berr...
How many calories are in dairy products?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Here are some examples of calories in dairy products: 1 glass whole milk, 167 calories; 1 glass ...
How Can I Keep Calories Form Cereal Under Control?