How does increasing muscle mass help me burn calories?

The number-one consumer of calories in your body is muscle. The more muscle mass you have, the more your body works toward burning calories -- even when you’re asleep. It’s extremely important to maintain muscle during any weight-loss endeavor. A great way to build muscle is by doing cardio with light weights. It’ll keep your heart rate up, while sculpting your body to be more lean and muscular.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Calories

This Nut Has Fewer Calories Than You Think
Even though nuts are brimming with excellent nutrition, sometimes you shy away because of the calories. But here's a nut that may have fewer calories ...
How many calories does the brain consume?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
The brain consumes approximately 20% of our daily calorie intake.
How can I figure out how many calories I eat in a week?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
To get a handle on how many calories you do eat in a week, begin to keep a food diary. If you thou...
Burn More Calories With the Right Diet
Burn More Calories With the Right Diet