What is a kilocalorie?

A kilocalorie - kcal - is the same amount of energy as a calorie, except that the custom is to use the term "calories" when we're talking about food and "kilocalories" when we're talking about exercise. They're both the same amount of energy. Therefore, a donut is said to contain about 400 calories, and swimming is said to burn 400 to 600 kcal an hour.

Continue Learning about Calorie Restriction and Weight Loss

Turn Back the Clock with This Calorie Trick
If you'd like to be one of those people who looks and feels better with each passing year, here's how to do it. Leave a spoonful here and there. Swit...
Why should I vary my calorie intake if I want to lose weight?
Once your body gets used to consuming the same amount of calories every day, your weight loss na...
5 Of the Easiest Ways to Cut Calories Everyday
5 Of the Easiest Ways to Cut Calories Everyday5 Of the Easiest Ways to Cut Calories Everyday5 Of the Easiest Ways to Cut Calories Everyday5 Of the Easiest Ways to Cut Calories Everyday
Get expert tricks to say bye to unnecessary calories—and unwanted weight.
How Can You Cut Calories Without Eating Less?