What is the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of calcium?

Adults, age 19 to 50 years old need 1,000 milligrams of calcium daily. Women older than 50 and men aged 70 and beyond, should increase their daily intake to 1,200 milligrams.

Milk, yogurt, and cheese are the major sources of calcium in the American diet. Each serving from the dairy group will provide approximately 300 milligrams of calcium. (Choose only nonfat and low-fat milk and yogurt and reduced-fat or skim milk cheeses to reduce the amount of saturated fat in these foods.) Although three servings of dairy foods will just about meet many adults’ daily needs, Americans consume only about 11⁄2 servings of dairy daily, on average.
Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Adult women need at least 1000 mg of calcium a day. This amount goes up to a minimum of 1200 mg a day when you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Young girls and women on Depo-Provera should also increase their daily intake of calcium to prevent bone loss. Each of us has individual factors like lifestyle, diet and exercise which affect our calcium requirements. Discuss supplementation if you feel it is needed with your health care provider.

Continue Learning about Calcium

How do calcium supplements affect my blood pressure?
Three recent studies show that men taking 1,000 milligrams (mg) or more of calcium a day had a 12 pe...
How do I know how much elemental calcium is in my supplement?
To find the amount of elemental calcium, check the Nutrition Facts Panel. Calcium is listed in milli...
Are Calcium Supplements Safe?
Are Calcium Supplements Safe?
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?
Are Multivitamins a Waste of Money?